In case you hadn’t noticed from my previous blogs about foot care and going barefoot… I am kind of obsessed with healthy feet. As a Chiropractor, I see the spinal changes and postural changes that occur in my patients from poor footwear choices or injured feet on a daily basis.
Katy Bowman’s book, Every Woman’s Guide to Foot Pain Relief, belongs on every household’s bookshelf! In her book, Bowman breaks down the details of how your feet move, how they are built, and the basics of both self foot maintenance and rehabilitation. The reality is that most women will experience severe foot pain at some point in their lives. With simple daily activities and stretches… and maybe some better footwear choices… these can be overcome, but most importantly prevented.
Here are some of my favorite take-home points from this book:
- Wearing shoes all the time is like living your life with mittens on.
- Your feet are unlike anyone else’s.
- Your toes should be able to move independently (This sounds crazy, I KNOW! But I am currently working on this feat).
- A shoe whose sole is taller at the back than the front is a heel… even if it’s a running shoe.
- Shoes should be foot-shaped.
- Ditch the Flip-Flop.
- Barefoot time is essential!!
- You have the power to change your own feet- and your HEALTH.
I also really appreciated the practical exercises in the back of the book and am implementing them into my own nightly routine. I highly recommend reading this book and starting to assess and correct your footwear and your feet. I am also excited to start reading more of Katy Bowman’s books 🙂
I’ll leave you with this quote from her book:
“Human tissue is phenomenal stuff. When you make small changes in your movement patterns, you nudge yourself down a new physiological path. The body works to tear down old or underused tissue every day, and builds up tissues that are in greatest demand. The body continuously adapts to whatever you are doing now. Changing your habits will change your life!”- Katy Bowman